Friday 30 November 2012

Soft Idli

Idli have been my favorite dish I love since young, to be precise I used to have Idli as a substitute to rice. I can have idli for breakfast, lunch or dinner especially if I have spicy chutney or curry to go with it, chicken curry or mutton peratal which mom makes are the best combo for Idli. Now coming back to the recipe, nowadays people have the luxury of getting ready made Idli or Dosa powder in the grocery shop but nothing can beat home made stuffs.

Now let us check how I made this;


Ingredients:

4 cups of rice(soaked)
1 cup of white Urad dhall (soaked)
1 tbsp of fenugreek (soaked)
Salt to taste
Water to grind 

Clean and soak rice, white urad dhall and fenugreek for at least 6 hours,you can combine urad dhall and fenugreek together. After soaking blend rice, then urad dhall and fenugreek to a smooth batter, pour the batter into a big vessel or pot. Add enough water to get thick consistency of the batter not too watery. Then add salt and make sure you mix  the salt and batter using a clean hand. Cover the vessel or pot with a lid and let it ferment overnight.

The next day mix the batter well with a spoon, grease Idli pan and pour the batter to the whole and steam for 10-15 minutes or until its completely cooked. Now our Idlis are ready to be served.


My mom's recipe doesn't call for yeast or baking soda as some of my family member used to have stomach discomfort after having Idli with yeast or baking soda. So mom said to make sure the batter ferment perfectly, you have to let the batter to sit and ferment overnight at least for 10 hours.

Do try this easy peasy steps and let me know how it turned out!

15 comments:

Thank you so much fellow friends for commenting, your comments will help me to improve my blog and share more special recipes that I have tried with you. Do drop by often, yummy recipes waiting!

Arthy Suman